Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Scarborough Marsh at Pine Point




I had some time to kill while at work in Scarborough, Maine...I lay down my book and pulled out my watercolor gear and started painting what I saw looking out my windshield. The 3,100 acre estuary known as Scarborough Marsh is the largest salt marsh in the state of Maine, comprising tidal marsh, salt creeks, freshwater marsh and uplands. The marsh is particularly important for wildlife as a resting, breeding and feeding ground. Here I used a high horizon line emphasizing the horizontal lines of the broad marsh, while flattening the picture plain. During spring, autumn and winter the grass glows orange and brown.
Watercolor 3.25 x 10"

2 comments:

Painting Tips and Tricks said...

This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

Autumn Leaves said...

What a gorgeous spot, Dennis. You've captured this so magically, so beautifully. I love your job. It sure gives rise to some amazing paintings!